McLaren Engineering Group provided site planning, engineering and permitting services for the growing Laytonsville Volunteer Fire Department (LVFD). Established in 1954, they advanced into the current site in 1966, and now into a 2,500-square-foot addition that includes greater space for administrative, residence and training. The expansion also included an additional parking area, a relocated drive aisle, a reallocation of spaces across the existing lot, and new access connections.
McLaren’s team of maryland engineers worked to accommodate all the desired site features within the limited space. The two existing buildings, existing and proposed roadways, and an active septic field presented constraints on all four sides of the project site. The site design also incorporated a future public road connection for a proposed adjacent residential development, as well as adding an access/entrance to Laytonsville Road for non-emergency traffic. McLaren provided a wide variety of civil engineering services to assist the LVFD in developing this challenging land parcel.
Civil engineering services include overall site planning and layout, grading, erosion and sediment control and low-impact development design for the expansion. The stormwater management design utilized MDE Environmental Site Design guidelines, utility design, paving design and landscape plans. McLaren lead the environmental plans and permit process and wove the challenges into a unified permit plan, to meet local and state regulatory requirements. McLaren also addressed and coordinated with Maryland State Highway Administration for pedestrian traffic across Laytonsville Road.
To facilitate plan approvals, McLaren prepared renderings using the detailed plans for the Town and Planning Board hearings. McLaren also performed the necessary plan processing and permitting, including construction period services all the way through bond close-out.