Originally placed in storage in 2004 to accommodate the multi-phase redesign of The Battery, The Coast Guard Memorial has been rededicated in its newly constructed home. The bronze sculpture with granite base was created by artist and combat veteran Norman Millet Thomas and initially dedicated in 1955 to honor the Coast Guard members who served during World War II.
Today, the new triangular Coast Guard Memorial Plaza at The Battery features a paved pathway with new benches and native plantings that frame the historic monument. However, developing its location set on an existing traffic island right above the Battery Park underpass and an abandoned South Ferry outer loop/station proved to be a challenge.
Our civil and structural engineers were able to provide innovative solutions for the plaza’s construction. McLaren conducted load ratings, provided finite modeling, and coordinated test pits in the traffic island, exposing the 1940’s era two-barreled cut-and-cover tunnels below, before construction could begin.
After feasibility was determined, McLaren provided structural foundation design and utility layout design for the plaza. Additionally, we coordinated the City and State approvals to move the project forward.